Saturday, September 10, 2011

AND WHILE I'M BANGING ON ABOUT LEGO

One of the things I've wanted to do since I started getting back into Lego was to post a MOC-- short for 'My Own Creation-- a common practice amongst the Legorati, who create all sorts of wonderful, amazing edifices and then post photos and/or plans of the construction process so that others can build the same creation. (Such as these guys and these and this and this and.... well, you get the idea) Only two things have stopped me doing so before this:

1. I'm a bit crap, and
2. Compared to guys like this, anything I might do would simply show me up for the utter noob with two left Leggoey feet that I really am. I'm also completely incapable of making up instruction sheets that look like they may have been drawn by a Lego artist with a couple of spare hours to kill before The Big Bang Theory starts. If only I'd paid more attention in Lego class...

Still, nothing ventured, nothing failed. So here's a little ice-skimmer style vehicle I've whipped up and am moderately chuffed over, in wonkyphoto-a-rama! I've listed the relevant pieces, and their Bricklink piece number, under each pic, and in the case of rarer items, also listed the set from which I scabbed them.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.


An easy start: one 2x8 white plate (3034) and two 2x8 white plates with door rail (30586), taken from my City of Atlantis set (7985-1)





Step two: Add the rails to the plate, and flip. Attach two light-bluish gray 1x12 bars with plate ends and round 1x1 plate ends (42445, taken from the Lunar Limo set- 5984-1) to a white 2x4 plate (3020), and attach to one end of the structure.


Step three: Turn the right way up, and attach one 2x16 white plate with angled side extensions (62743), taken from the Ice Dragon Attack set (2260-1)



Step four: two more 2x8 white plate with door rails.



Step five: Invert again, and buttress the overhanging plates with a 2x6 white plate (3795)



Step six: Top side up again, and filling in the single line atop the front spar with, from left to right-- one 1x1 red tile with groove (3070b); one 1x2 white tile with groove (3069b). In this instance I didn't have a plain white one to hand so just shoved the first one I found in. It all gets covered, anyway; one 1x2 modified tile with stud (3794); and one 1x2 white plate with handles (3839), or as they've always been known to me, front guns.)



Step seven: Another 2x16 white plate with angled side extensions (62743) goes on top, and the back end is finished with two 4x1 18 white slopes (60477) and a 2x2 white brick (3003)



Step eight: And finished with, from left to right: a 2x1x2/3 red slope 18 with 4 slots (61409) from the Seabed Strider (7977-1); a 1x4 white tile (2431); a 2x2 white tile with red warning triangle pattern (3068bp06); and at the top of the rear bricks a 1x2 red modified tile with grill (2412) and two more of the red slope with 4 slots.

And she is done.

All comments and small coin donations welcome! and if any experienced Lego builders want to contact me with any advice, please feel free.

No comments: