Monday, October 10, 2005

A HOUSE FULL OF BODIES

It's been a loud and hectic week, this past week in the Batthouse. We've had the Triffkids for the last week of the school holidays, and it was brilliant. Things may be loud when all 7 of us are in the one place, but the benefits of having a large family make every moment worthwhile. We didn't do much this holidays, apart from a few activities centred around a bit of news I divulge later in the post, but the act of just hanging out with such intelligent, vibranht, enjoyable kids leaves me feeling froody.

The days after taking them to their dad's place are always a bit low for us, but it was too good a week to hurt for long.

WHY MY WIFE HATES MY BONUS KIDS

On the other hand, I'm a bit worried about Luscious. Blakey went to a friend's place for a party mid-week, so she let Aiden & Cassie see a movie. More to the point, she let them see Sky High. A Kuuurrrrtttt movie! And Aiden's far too young to look at Linda Carter and have rewarding flashbacks.

It could take years for the scars to surface....

HOORAY FOR THE A-BOY

Aiden had his trophy presentation for soccer during the hols. We thought he was in with a real shot for Most Improved Player, given how far he's come since the start of the season, but he was gazumped by (wait for it) the coach's daughter. Now, I haven't seen her play before this season, so I'm not suggesting that the fix was in, but I'm just going to mention that you can read all my entries about Aiden's progress and decide for yourself whether anyone else could improve that much in the same team...

Anyway, we couldn't be more proud of him. He loves the game, and the medal he received didn't leave his neck from the day he got it until it was time to leave. It was a deserved reward for a young man who gave everything to playing a sport he's grown to love, and I'm a very punch-pleased Bonus Dad. And here's a gratuitous photo so's I can show off :)



Call him, Hiddink. He's waiting......

You know, no sooner does the A-boy take up soccer than the NSL changes its name to the A-League. Talk about your destiny!


BEST LINE OF THE HOLIDAYS (or SPOT THE DELIBERATE MISTAKE)

BLAKE (11 years old): Who's John Lennon?
AIDEN (Much older, and more mature, ie: 12): (In mocking tones) You don't know who John Lennon is?
BLAKE: No
AIDEN: Duuuuuuh. He sang "You're The Voice".

And much Coke was sprayed.....

WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE THE FOXTEL WAY

I love having so many documentary channels. The History of Science Fiction and HG Wells docos last Sunday night gave us enough excuse to invite Martin and Dr Izz over for din-dins and watching. We had a fabulous time, as we always do in their company, and I was especially pleased to learn that Isabelle is fascinated by Wells, something we share.

I find myself searching for ways to catch up with them before they depart for England at the end of the year. I've also decided that it's all a clever plan on the part of Martin to increase his overseas sales-- frustrated that he can sell to Australian magazines but not American or British ones (another thing we share...) he's going to go over there, send stories back here, and they'll count!

Cunning devil!

BUY MY UNWANTED CRAP!

This Saturday, from 10.30 to 3.30, at the Leederville Town Hall on Vinent Street, Swancon are holding a Geek Trash & Treasure as a fundraiser.

Luscious and I will be there, with the fruits of our book/comic/video cleanout. Nothing over 2 bucks, come on down!

ADVENTURES OF AN ADDICTED BOOK BUYING GUY

Luscious and the kids met me after work today, and we went into Fremantle to have a picnic and play in the park. But we needed to buy drinks, so we found a teeensy little bookstore with a coke machine....

And I found Walking with Dinosaurs: The Evidence and a hardback copy of Tales From Earthsea for ten bucks each. And we bought the drinks and left the shop inside 90 seconds of entering.

I am BOOKBUYMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

PROUD HUBBY TIME

As if it should have ever been in doubt, Luscious' brilliant story from ASIM 17, The Memory of Breathing, has been picked up for Year's Best Australian Dark Fantasy & Horror 2005.

In my humble opinion, it's the best horror story of the year, and if it doesn't make the Aurealis Awards short list at least, it'll point out what a load of bollocks that particular award is. I'm an amazingly proud hisband right now, all the more because it's so obviously a deserved recognition for a wonderful writer who has yet to hit her straps. When she does, nobody will be talking about me any more.

Of course, no one does now, but that's not the point. Well done, my darling. You deserve it.

ON THE ROAD AGAIIIIINNNNN......

Well, here's an announcement.

We're moving.

The house is on the market, there's a sign out the front, we're leaving exotic Huntingdale and moving North of the River to facilitate the arrival of Aiden into our midst on a permanent basis. We're looking at Clarkson, for any Perthites with a road map and sense of adventure. We've had half a dozen people through the house since Thursday, and we've not had an open house yet! The agent thinks that we'll be hard done by if we don't sell the place within 4 weeks.

It's weird: I've a lot of emotional investment in this place, having bought 2 children home here, as well as my late wife Sharon and my darling Luscious. Almost all the plans I've made these last 5 years have involved being here, and inside 2 weeks of making the decision, half the house is packed away, and we're one person from being out the door and never seeing the place again. I'm eager for somewhere new, excited at the thought of finding a house that Lyn and I can call ours from the very beginning, and yet there's a tiny part of me that'll want visiting rights. "Please, can't I just see the patio every alternative weekend?"

On the other hand, it's hard to argue with an appraisal that gives you a 240% profit on what you paid for the place :)

It was either this or a peaceful life. Pictures and advertorial as soon as I upload them.

No comments: